Ok, so several people have been asking about my new job. So, here's the deal:
I started working at Goodwill Industries of North LA on April 5. I am their new Employment Transition Specialist which is under Goodwill's workforce development program. We get clients referred to us from the Office of Mental Health from all the parishes across north Louisiana. After a client is referred, he/she is assigned to one of us, and we help them find a job. So, in a nutshell, I help people with disabilities find and obtain employment. There are several stages the clients must go through (4 to be exact) before they can be placed in a job. We do initial assessments where we just get to know each other and determine if the client is even applicable to our program. We find out what they like to do, what they're good at, and in what type of setting they'd like to work. We do interview skills, job training, we make goals and measurements to meet those goals. We practice social skills and how to dress appropriately; we practice communication skills. It's all about getting this person as ready for the work place as possible. And some of them have been in the work environment for years, but have gotten laid off/fired, etc. I love it so far. It was super overwhelming at first, but I just finished my second week, and I am finally calming down. There is still A LOT to learn, but I am so ready to embrace this and take it all in. I believe this will be so rewarding - to help someone regain a sense of identity, a sense of self-esteem, a sense of belonging just by finding a job. I have met a few of my clients all ready and they have already begun to tug at my heart. I really want to help these people, therefore, I will take the responsibility that comes along with my job to a whole new level. I believe this is where God wants me to be right now, and I am so thankful that he has lead me here, and I look forward to where he leads me in the future. But for now, I am an ETS here at Goodwill. I hope that I can help people as much as my heart desires to help, and that I can make a difference in someone else's life.
New Anthro Styles & What I Wore in Round Top
2 weeks ago

1 comment:
Sarah,
Your new job sounds like it is right up your alley. God places us in positions for a time, season and a reason. Let Him guide you through this job/jouney. You are making a difference in peoples lives. Glad you are enjoying it so far..and if the job becomes stressful and you feel overwhelmed take a deep breath and remember that you have been placed there for such a time as this.
Much Love to you,
Allenia
Post a Comment