2/8/13

Blessed

Really, I am.  Blessed beyond belief, and completely overwhelmed with gratitude at the works of our Lord in my life.

At a time when I least expected it, the Good Lord so strategically placed a man in my life that would change it forever.  When I met Jason, I was in no way looking for a relationship, nor was he.  But when that spark ignited, there was no putting it out.  It only grew over time, and I realized more every day how much I love this man and how much I want him in my life from here on out.  A huge blessing to me was that I knew the feeling was mutual.  I knew he loved me back - not only did he tell me, he showed me in so many ways.  I will never be able to thank him enough for showing me what it's like to be loved unconditionally and allowing me to experience the kind of love I have with him.  He has now asked me to be his wife, and I can seriously feel the joy pouring out of my heart and soul into my bones and my blood and IT. FEELS. GOOD.

Now for the details that so many have asked about:

When we first started seeing each other, it became clear to me that Jason was a man of analogies.  He uses them all the time, and most of the time they are pretty good.  (Some I don't understand, but we get there.)  It's his way of explaining something to make me (or whoever else) better understand where he's coming from.  In some of our many conversations about love and relationships, compromise and the give-and-take aspects of them always come up.  Jason's response was that it's like a bucket of balls.  He may throw me 5 balls out of his bucket one day, and the next day I throw him 4 back.  Or he may throw 2 when I throw 3.  Point being that if the other person playing catch with you doesn't throw the ball back, your bucket becomes empty. Eventually, you have thrown all that you have to throw, and when you continuously get nothing thrown back in return, you have nothing else to throw.  Just like love, you have to give back to the person giving to you. 
When he walked in the kitchen with 2 buckets, none of this registered with me.  He said "I have something for you" and I tried to look in the bucket to figure out what it was.  He grabbed it before I could see anything though. 

 He proceeded to tell me things that only he and I will know - things about love and our relationship, etc.  Then he reached in his bucket and gave me a baseball:
 
As I was reading the baseball, he got down on one knee and pulled a ring out of his pocket.

I was more shocked than anything, and instead of bursting into tears like I always thought I would when this day came, I just stared at him...relishing in the moment and admiring this man that had just changed my life...completely stunned that he loves me back enough to want me to be his wife.

He then had to tell me to look in my bucket.  I did, and inside were my two balls to throw back to him:
 
 And just like that, our lives are forever changed for the better.

I can't tell you how lucky I feel to have found him.  He is exactly what God knew I needed in a man, and I couldn't have hand-picked someone more perfect for me.  He is a manly man in all aspects of the word.  I could tell him to build a 90 degree sphere, and I'm pretty sure he could somehow pull it off.  But he is also the most sincere, patient, kind-hearted, wonderful, respectful man, and he shows me every day how much he loves me.  He makes it so easy to play catch, and I know we'll never run out of balls to throw to each other.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Thank you, Jason, for bringing my heart so much joy and making my life so wonderful.  Thank you for always treating me with the utmost respect, and for never making me question your love for me.  Thank you for putting love into action and showing me what you say.  Thank you for putting the broken pieces back together.  Thank you for encouraging me to be a better Christian and a better woman.  But most of all, thank you for playing catch with me and for never dropping the ball.

2 comments:

the Jennings secede from the South said...

Oh, Sarah! Congratulations! So happy for you guys! (He looks familiar, is he a Ruston guy?)

Sarah Duke said...

Thanks girl! Yes, he is. He graduated from RHS but is a little older than you and Robbie.