6/22/16

Father's

I wrote a post about mom's after Mother's Day, so I felt it's only fair to do the same for Dad's.  And just as I am blessed with amazing women in my life to be mother's, the male roles are no different.

I didn't get to see my dad on Father's Day this year, because he was working in Baton Rouge.  He was actually working for me and our family and his grandchildren.  Since February, Dad has spent every week in Baton Rouge at our state capitol fulfilling his representative roles.  He has missed baseball games (for three different nephews), dance and piano recitals, birthday parties, and now Father's Day, all because of the sacrifice he has made to our state and to his district.

I'm not going to go on a rant about politics and how disheartening it his to see people on social media bash your father when you just want to spend Father's Day with him.  I'm not going to feed into the drama that is republican/democrat and all the backstabbing, misconception and immaturity that are abounding.  That's another separate can of worms, and one I don't really even want to open.

Back to Dad -
Dad was the kind of dad that was home every afternoon/evening to be with us when we were kids and help Mom after a long day.  I didn't know until I was older that after we went to bed, he would go back down to the office to work.  I didn't know until I was older the sacrifices he made that we never saw.  He was always at school open houses, games to watch me dance, and even was a chaperone on our danceline trip to Disney World for National's one year.  Lots of dance mom's, a choreographer, a sponsor, and Dad.  I still remember the trip though, and I was so proud to have him there with me.  Now, being an adult, I'm thankful he was able to make it happen because I know with working parents, it's not always possible. 

Dad is one of the wisest, most intelligent people I know.  I'm not just saying that because he's my dad either!  He is so smart and so genuine about it.  Maybe it's because he has a lot of life experience under his belt.  But probably most of it is because he lives trusting the Lord and has a very strong prayer life.  He's knowledgeable about the Bible, the law, life, and everything in between.  I really don't think there is a question I could ask that he doesn't know or wouldn't figure out pretty quick.

Now, with 4 grown children with families and children of our own, our dad and Pops continues to make the sacrifices he's always done as a dad.  I really couldn't be more proud to be his daughter. 

I also gained an amazing father-in-law when I married Jason.  Daddy P is one of a kind, and I would bet the man has 9 lives.  He has seen medical problem after problem, but he hasn't missed a beat.  He works harder than some 30-year-olds, still maintains beehives and makes his own honey (which is delicious by the way!), and helps his wife taking care of their two great-grandchildren and one grandchild while we parents work.  (They're retired.)  The love he shows his grandchildren and the interaction with them is the epitome of what a grandfather is.  Whenever Jason is out of town, he's always there to help me with things around the house that I may don't want to or can't do.  (Namely, going inside the chicken coop to get eggs and to feed all of them.  That rooster was MEAN, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared of him.)  We had a bee problem recently, and he came straight over to set up his bee box and took care of it for us.  I am so very thankful for Jason's parents, for their unity, and for the way they have taught their son how to be a respectful, spiritual, loving husband and father.  I know he learned from one of the best!

Speaking of husband, there's no way I could write about the dad's in my life without the man that is the father to the three littles in our home.  The way this man fathers is beyond my wildest dream.  He is a thoughtful, stern, protective daddy who teaches his kids so many valuable life lessons.  From how to weld to how to mow the grass to how to tell the truth, he's just good at it.  He encourages them to go to church, to pray when things are good and when things are hard, and tries with all of his being to make sure they grow up into well-rounded, respectful, hard-working adults.  I love watching him be a daddy, and I love that I get to be the mama counterpart to his dad-role.

What is a world of dads without our Father, though?  How can I give praise to the earthly fathers in my life without the ultimate praise going to my Heavenly Father?!  I know the love my dad has for me and my husband has for his children, yet I still cannot fathom how much the Lord loves His children.  If I know I'm loved this much by my own daddy, if I can see this love from my husband to his children,  the love that I think about God pouring down to us is just incomprehensible. 

I am so very grateful to God for the men he has placed in my life.  I'm thankful to Him for the longevity of life in all of them, as I know so many are not as fortunate to have a dad, father-in-law and grandparents.  (I was 16 when my dad's dad died, and 25 when my mom's dad joined him in Heaven.  Even then, I knew it was a blessing to have the two around for so many years and through my childhood.)

God's word says “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.” (Proverbs 22:6)

Thank you to all the dad's in my life who have helped train me up and now help train up our children.

No comments: