9/21/12

Refining Silver

Malachi 3:3: "He will sit as a refiner and purifier of silver." 

This verse puzzled some women in a Bible study and they wondered what this statement meant about the character and nature of God ... 

One of the women offered to find out the process of refining silver and get back to the group at their next Bible Study. 

That week, the woman called a silversmith and made an appointment to watch him at work. She didn't mention anything about the reason for her interest beyond her curiosity about the process of refining Silver. 

As she watched the silversmith, he held a piece of silver over the fire and let it heat up. He explained that in refining silver, one needed to hold the silver in the middle of the fire where the flames were hottest as to burn away all the impurities. 

The woman thought about God holding us in such a hot spot; then she thought again about the verse that says: 'He sits as a refiner and a purifier of silver.' She asked the silversmith if it was true that he had to sit there in front of the fire the whole time.

The man answered that yes, he not only had to sit there holding the silver, but he had to keep his eyes on the silver the entire time it was in the fire. If the silver was left a moment too long in the flames, it would be destroyed. The woman was silent for a moment.

Then she asked the silversmith, 'How do you know when the silver is fully refined?' He smiled at her and answered, 'Oh, that's easy -- when I see my image in it."
(I can't take credit for this.  I'm not sure where the story originated from, but it's been in an email for a while.)
 
 Even through the dark storms and hot fires of life, our God is standing in front of us, refining us to such an incredible source that portrays His Holy Image.

Jesus rejoices with us when we are glad. But he also weeps with us when we are sad. This is something I have known, but never really just sat and thought about. There is a song that says "If today is your darkest day and you can't escape the pain, don't be afraid. He'll never walk away. He weeps with you. He weeps with me. When I'm on my knees and I taste defeat, He weeps."

The shortest verse in the Bible tells us "Jesus wept". (John 11:35)

In this moment, I was reminded that He was with me during all those hard times that seemed were so dark . I always knew I wasn't alone, but this day it was more evident than ever. Not only was He there with me, He was crying with me...for me. And then gave me His strength to get back on my feet. And praise His Holy Name for that, because this life of mine really is a beautiful thing.

You know the saying that there is a silver lining behind every dark cloud? Well, I have seen my silver lining behind the darkest cloud to date. THANK YOU, LORD!

P.S.  Remember this post?  This was written on Friday, September 7th.  And this was on the front of the church bulletin on Sunday, September 9th:

 
Hello God.  Thank you for driving this home for me.
 

No comments: