Hello all! I've been thinking about this whole blog thing lately....a lot of the ones I keep up with are people who have babies, husbands, and way more exciting lives than I do. And I wondered, who in the world wants to read my boring life stories? But, oh well! Cause I'm writing them anyway. I was trying to convince Hillery to start a blog and told her it was a good way to just sit down, and as you write, (or type) it's almost like an informal life evaluation. So, whoever reads, thank you for spending your time trying to keep up with my simple little life. It's me, and I love it.
Now...I'll get to the guts and the glory of this whole thing we call "life". However, right now I am failing to see the glory part. I am, once again, SICK. It started off with just allergies, you know this devil-of-a-thing called pollen finally stuck it to me. As soon as I noticed the yellow on the cars I thought, "Oh dear, hear comes the sinuses!" But I was able to avoid it for the first couple of weeks. I guess God thought it was time for me to give in though and let the pollen get the best of me. It then turned into a full-blown sinus infection. How lovely? I got some medicine from the wonderful doctor on Tuesday, and now on Friday, I'm still not well. Remember that whole patience thing I've talked about? Yeah, not coming in so handy right now. It has finally loosened up though, and now all my nose produces is clear stuff, which means the infection is gone. Although I swear I'm still blowing about a gallon of snot a day. (How lady-like, right?) So, hopefully by the beginning of next week, I will be back to normal. I'm starting to forget what healthy feels like. They say after you have the flu, your immune system is really weak, maybe that's my problem.
On a lighter note, school is great! I am doing my practica at Lincoln Even Start and I absolutely love it! It is a family literacy program that helps children of low-income/poverty level households get an "even start" at education. There is also an adult education program where the parents are studying to get their GED. (These 2 programs are connected; the ones participating in the GED program have to have a child in the Even/Head Start program.) I work mainly in the daycare part, but do some work here and there in the adult ed. building. These children are lacking in all areas: social, literacy, cognitive, emotional-you name it. Even during the free-play time, we are always trying to teach these precious little children, referring to things by their specific names and by their colors. While we are teaching and trying to get children to evolve their skills, they think they're playing! It's not their fault they were brought in to the life they were; they didn't pick to be delayed; they didn't pick their situations. We try to encourage them to learn and try new things. And when they finally realize they can do something new or say a new word, the light that takes over their sweet faces is unreal. And what it boils down to, they just need unconditional love and some attention. The FIRST day I was there, a little boy fell. No one saw him and he began to cry - it was one of those pain-stricken cries where their eyes are squeezed so tightly shut and their mouth is open as far as it will go and frowning, but no sound is coming out. I'm sure those of you with children know this face. I walked over and scooped him up, and he immediately began to calm down. He just lay his head on my shoulder and wrapped his arms as far around me as they would go. All he needed was the comfort of someone's arm. And from this point forward, I was hooked. The pleasure and reward I gained in knowing that I, a stranger to this child, could comfort and console him the way I did made my heart smile. I'm beginning to think I have a passion for children, you think?
Other than my practica, I have a one credit hour class on Monday's from 5:30 - 6:45. It's about the professional issues in Human Ecology, how to write an appropriate resume, how to act at a formal dining event, etc. This is when I really understand and appreciate how my parents taught me growing up. It's nice to say that I pretty much know everything they're saying already, although I have learned a few neat tricks and to-do's here and there.
And then, my friends, IT'S GRADUATION TIME! Yep, I get more and more excited and also overwhelmed as each day passes and as May 23 nears. I have already registered, and now it is time to order my cap and gown and invitations - whew, just sounds stressful! I could've sworn that last year I was doing the same thing except at Ruston High. During the process, I felt like this was the LONGEST 5 years that ANYONE could EVER live. Now looking back on it though, it has flown by. A college grad...who'd a thunk it?
We have a pretty busy weekend ahead of us, birthday parties, picnics and crawfish boils. It should be exciting. I'll keep you posted.
God Bless you all!
New Anthro Styles & What I Wore in Round Top
2 weeks ago

3 comments:
Hey Sarah, I am Julie Martin's mom and have followed Camille's blog for a while now. I have told her and her mom that they should write a book!! They are both hilarious most of the time. Julie has a lot in common with your passion for underprivileged kids. She adores them. Keep writing and congrats on graduation. Where do you plan to work?
What you consider your ramblings I consider your precious thoughts! Please continue to blog! I look forward to it so much! Love you!
Hey Mrs. Jackie! How are you? Thanks for the comment. I'm not sure about work plans yet, I'm still trying to figure it all out. I guess you could say I'm waiting on my calling. :) Nice to hear from you.
Post a Comment