2/12/10

Let it Snow, Let it Snow, Let is SNOW!

I know all you northern folk are about to make fun of me, but I don't care. It has SNOWED in Ruston and it is freakin' AWESOME! We are under a "Winter Storm Advisory" here in the South; schools are closed, roads are closed, people are joyful, and it's just so cool. You see, here in North Louisiana, we don't get a whole lotta this white stuff you call snow. And when we do, we are closing businesses and schools and roads and daycares and everything.
This is mine and Joey's backyard. The side of our house.
I'm standing in our carport looking out.

This is our view across the street in the front of our house.

Mine and Joey's sweet little home all covered in white!

It is so weird driving to work through streets like this. Branches slouched over with ice, slush in the road...it's like driving in a twilight zone.
This is Dad's backyard. (Yes I took pictures of both houses.)

Dad's back porch. With the water hose drug through the middle of it so the pipes don't freeze..remember...this is the South. Our homes aren't equipped for such weather! Our pipes will freeze!)

This was all at 7:30 this morning. I had planned on going into work late, and Joey called at 7:30 and said, "I know you're trying to sleep, but please go outside and look before it all starts to melt." Aw. But, I'm glad he did, because I bundled up and went outside to take pictures because I knew it wouldn't be as beautiful later in the morning.I think I could make a post card.
So, that's the extent of our snow day here in the South. It's 1:00 now and it has stopped falling and has started to melt :(. The ground is still pretty warm (somewhere between 35-39 degrees) so we knew it wouldn't stay long.
It just so happens that I'm in the middle of reading this book
and it is HILARIOUS! It depicts the differences between the north and the south, and the writer is just pure genius. This is an excerpt that was just so perfect for today:
"We Southerners really don't know how to act when it snows. There's less than an inch on the ground, not even enough to cover the yard onions, and I can hear the shrill morning TV announcerette screaming, 'If you don't have to be on the roads right now, for heaven's sake, STAY HOME!' She then follows with what amounts to a prayer for the 'safe return' of the TV crew to the station after having risked everything to secure videotape of this horrible storm that is blanketing our town with two, maybe three, flakes per minute.
She then proceeds to talk about hurricanes, and how they are the devil.
"During a hurricane, we calmly and competently shift into our storm plan...But snow? I'll be the first to admit that we Southerners frankly, lose it. Northerners hee-haw at how we cancel school at the first flake....they love to say stuff like, 'Geez, back home it'd snow fifteen, eighteen inches and nothing shuts down'. Well, that's because y'all got the road equipment to handle regular snowstorms. All we got is Bubba and Junior's four-wheel-drive pick-em-up trucks to helps us out of the driveway and on our way."
She goes on and on, and it is absolutely gut-busting, knee-slapping funny. You should read it.
I am at work today, but I really wish I was outside making snow angels and building snowmen. Bummer.

No comments: