April 8, 1936 - January 31, 2010
This is my PawPaw, and he died on Sunday. He was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver in 2003, and about 3 weeks ago, he was told his liver has started to fail and it was just a matter of time. From that doctor's appointment 3 weeks ago to Sunday, he went downhill very fast. I was able to spend a lot of time with him and tell him how much I love him and how much he means to me. PawPaw was put in a hospital bed in his living room on Thursday and went to be with his Lord on Sunday. He was in his own home, not hooked up to any machines and what I hope to be was as comfortable as he could be.
To say that PawPaw was an incredible man would be an understatement. He has been one of the strongest, hard-working, dedicated men that I have ever known, and I am so sad that he is gone. I am so unbelievably lucky to have had such an incredible man in my life for 24 years. There are some people that never know their grandfathers, and I have been fortunate enough to have mine play a huge role in my life for almost a quarter of a century.
Ever since I can remember, PawPaw has been such a badass, for lack of better terms. He hit my cousin's boyfriend when he hit her brother to show him "how real men hit". He whooped us when we needed it and then told us how much he loved us. He was intimidating to those who didn't know any better, but had the kindest heart. He voluntarily served in the Marine Corps when our country needed him. He reached out to people through his career that needed him. To see him in a hospital bed, not able to feed himself, sit up by himself or talk was so painful and has taken a huge toll on my heart and my mind. However, I know I couldn't bear to see him like that for much longer, nor could the rest of my family. I am glad he is now with his Heavenly Father, although I want him here, and I need him here. But obviously, God needed him more.
We had his funeral last night and it was overwhelming to see the amount of people that came to show their love and support. PawPaw was important to so many people in our community, and all his good deeds have not gone unnoticed. The church was packed, and when we sang, it gave me chills to know that these people were here to honor my grandfather and his life. Thank you for that, for it is a feeling I will always remember...and cry when I do. The love and support from family and friends is so great, and I am so blessed to have the circle of friends that I do and the family that I do. I love you all more than you'll ever know.
All in all, I lost a very big part of my life and my heart aches for him. I know he's in a better place, but that doesn't change the fact that I want him here. PawPaw was so wonderful to me and to my family, and I will always love him with all that I am. I will cherish the memories that we've made and will forever be grateful to have James Carroll Jones as My PawPaw.
If you're interested, you can read his obituary and see everything else he did. He was an inspiration to all.
I love and miss you, PawPaw.


No comments:
Post a Comment